Vaginal Yeast Infection (VYI) which is also known as Candidiasis, Vaginal Candidiasis, vulvovaginal candidiasis, vaginal thrush or candida vaginitis around the world. Vaginal yeast infection is mainly caused by yeast named as – Candida. It is a type of fungus, yeast, which lives in the human body as a normal flora; it resides in mouth, throat, gut and vagina. Sometimes it lives on the skin surface as well but do not cause any harmful effects on the human health. But this group of Candida becomes opportunistic pathogen that may cause infection on the availability of suitable internal environment of the body. This yeast multiplies excessively in the vagina or any other site of body and cause severe irritation.
It has been recorded that about 75% (3 out of 4) of women in the world suffer from this vaginal yeast infection once in their life just like Vaginal Mesh. It can be twice in early half of a woman life. Among-st this suffering percentage, about 5% may undergo with the vaginal yeast infection thrice in a year.
What is vaginal yeast infection?
The excessive growth of a yeast, Candida, in vagina leads to an infection known as “Vaginal yeast infection”. Candida is present in small quantity in vagina of women but sometime becomes opportunistic due to the most favorable conditions inside the vagina and it multiplies and cause infection.
The most common symptoms of vaginal yeast infection are;
- Itching in vagina
- Vaginal soreness
- Pain and discomfort during urination
- Pain and discomfort during sex
- Vaginal discharge – can be thin and watery, or thick and white just like cottage cheese
- Slight bleeding
- Vulvovaginal inflammation- includes;
- redness (erythema) of vulva and vagina
- vaginal fissuring (cracked skin)
- swelling (edema)
- sores in nearby areas (satellite lesions)- in rare cases
How do you get a yeast infection?
Candida albicans is the typical cause of vaginal yeast infection in women. Candida albicans is most common yeast which sheltered in the mouth, digestive system of human, and vagina as a normal flora of body. The specific reason for the start of excessive growth of Candida albicansis still unknown but some prompting factors for the excessive growth have been identified by medical researchers are;
- Researchers believe that 30% of women get vaginal yeast infection due to the use of antibiotics for other illnesses. The growth or multiplication of Candida albicans is regulated by the Lactobacillus bacteria which are health-friendly bacteria of the body. These friendly bacteria limit the multiplication of this infection causing yeast. The use of broad spectrum antibiotics leads to the reduction in quantity of this friendly Lactobacillus and ultimately the Candida albicans find opportunity to multiply and cause infection.
- During pregnancy, the woman is at high risk for getting vagina yeast infection. The pregnant woman continuously undergoes the hormonal changes during the period of nine months, the high levels of estrogen during pregnancy is one of major factors for the multiplication of vagina yeast infection causing agent, Candida albicans. This hormonal change may lead to the re-occurrence of this infection within the same pregnancy tenure.
- Poor personal hygiene is another reason of the vaginal infection. The women with high frequency of intercourse is at high risk for this infection.
- The diabetic patients are also at high risk for these vaginal yeast infections. The poor immune system of body also promotes the growth and multiplication of Candida albicans and causing of vaginal infection. The patients fighting with immune deteriorating diseases like HIV, and AIDS have weak immunity and are unable to control the spread of vaginal infection. The women receiving chemotherapy is also more exposed to these vaginal infections than others.
- Depression and stress.
- Imbalanced diet- especially intake of sugar containing food items leads to growth and multiplication of Candida in vagina and other parts of body. Follow it just like diet plan for diabetic patients.
- Lack of sleep
Vaginal Yeast infection treatments
After proper diagnosis of vaginal yeast infection from doctor or nurse, the treatment of this infection is started with the use of anti-fungal medications. These anti-fungal medications can be in the form of tablets, creams, ointments or suppositories that are inserted into vagina of patient. The duration of treatment varies from single dose per day to multiple doses up to seven days. This can be cured using stem cell technology also by Stem cell therapy companies.
- The intra-vaginal agents like Butoconazole, clotrimazole, miconazole, nystatin, tioconazole and terconazole are generally used in the treatment of vagina yeast infections.
- In case of severe infection, Oral Fluconazole – anti-fungal medicine is prescribed by the doctors as a single dose. If the re-occurrence, more than four times, of vaginal yeast infection happens within a year than the patient should have to complete a course of the anti-fungal medication up to 6 months.
- Azole drugs are applied topically, the treatment is given in a single dose to 3 days course depending on the condition of infection. The azole treatment helps in relief of irritation and other symptoms in 80-90% patients.
- The oil based creams and suppositories are also used for the treatment of vaginal yeast infections that might also helpful in weakening latex condoms and diaphragms. But research reports have revealed that this treatment is not going effective for more than 20% patients. The research has disclosed that the false diagnosis of this vaginal yeast infection may be the big reasons of failure in treatment.
- The good hygienic practices are also useful in preventing and curing of yeast infections like vagina yeast infection.
- The consumption of foods containing probiotics and prebiotics (most common food is yoghurt) are not only promising in the prevention and curing of vaginal infection but also increases the overall immunity of the body against other pathogens. The probiotic pills are also available in the market. The research on probiotics, Lactobacillus fermentum RC-14, lactobvacillusfermentum B-54, L. rhamnosus GR-1, L. acidophilus and L. rhamnosus GG has promising effects against the yeast infections including vaginal infection.
Treatment of Vagina yeast infection during pregnancy
Doctors do not recommend Oral Fluconazole for the use of pregnant women suffering with vagina yeast infection. Instead of Oral Fluconazole, the treatment with vaginal creams or suppositories formulated with Miconazole or Clotrimazole are preferred. You should look for best centers in USA like Top 10 Luxury Rehabilitation Center in Miami Florida.
Home remedies for yeast infection
Reports have revealed that more than 40% of diseased women seek home based and herbal remedies to treat the vaginal yeast infection. The popular home- based remedies includes;
- coconut oil
Use of coconut oil- oral or topical- both leads to curing of vaginal yeast infection.
- Apple cider Vinegar
Apple cider Vinegar bath is a popular remedy for the vaginal infection. The bath of 20 minutes in a tub filled with Apple cider Vinegar gives soothing effects for the patient suffering with vaginal infection.
- Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has both bactericidal and fungicidal properties. It has antiseptic characteristics against the vaginal yeast infection. But I cannot be used for more than five days.
- Vitamin C
The vitamin C boosts immune system of the body. It has antimicrobial components which help in curing of vaginal infections in women.
- Tea tree oil/ Essential oil
Tea Tree oil or essential oil based cream is found very effective for the treatment centers of vaginal yeast infection.
- Garlic paste
The garlic paste is applied on the burning and irritating surface is helpful in treating the infection.
- Boric acid
The use of boric acid vaginal suppositories is also used widely in treatment of vaginal yeast infections.
- Plain yogurt
The plain yogurt is taken orally during the infection caused by candida in vagina. The yogurt is found safe if inserted into vagina and has showed amazing results.
- Hot Baths
The sitting in hot tubs and very hot baths for some time also helps in the rapid treatment of vaginal yeast infections.
- Personal Hygiene
Keep the skin and vagina clean and dry.
- cotton fabric
Wearing clean underwear and of cotton or any other breathable fabric.
- Air- crossing of genital parts
Air- crossing of genital parts of body stops the warming and moistening of vagina which ultimately keeps the body away from yeast infections.
- Loose fitting clothes
Wearing loose fitting clothes- the tight clothing develops the hotness of body which makes vagina more suitable for growth and multiplication of vaginal yeast infections.
But all the remedies will work only when the hygienic measures should be adopted. The cleaning of hands before applying the creams and oils in vagina is mandatory.